This is one of the entry levels in the series of Sail Canada courses for cruising skippers.
This course introduces the operation of a cruising keelboat both as a powered vessel and as a sailboat.
Required and recommended safety equipment is discussed as is the handling of emergencies that might be encountered while day sailing.
The basic rules for avoiding collision with other vessels are explained and this information is applied during the practical sessions. The meaning of weather forecasts is clarified and the impact of weather on vessel operation, crew behavior, and on water activities is discussed. The curriculum includes an elementary introduction to the Canadian navigation system and to the basic use of charts and tide and current tables.
· Day sailing: Theory (18 hours) with written exam + Practice (24 hours)
· Live aboard: 4 days with written exam
· Challenge: minimum 4 hours with written exam
UPON COMPLETION: Logbook and Sail Canada Certificate
INSTRUCTOR: Oleg Nakarikov, Sail Canada Certified Instructor, RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
SCHOOL BOAT: Hunter 33
1. Theory (18 hours) - first week of every month in the classroom or online
SAIL LA VIE SAILING SCHOOL, 10271 Yonge St # 357, Richmond Hill, ON, Canada L4C 3B5
Every first week of each month. See website for dates and further details.
2. Practice at Lake Simcoe, Friday Harbour Resort:
(24 hours) – from June 1, 2020 to October 1, 2020
• 4 outlets of 6 hours each for max group of 4 students,
by additional scheduling
• 4 days living aboard course
• 4 days intensive with accommodation by Friday Harbour Resort
Locations for practice: Lake Simcoe:
· Friday Harbour Resort, 3999 Friday Dr, Innisfil, ON L9S 0J7,
· Lagoon City, Brechin Dray Dock Marina, 150 Laguna Pkwy, Brechin, ON L0K 1B0
The course could be presented in 2 languages: in English according to the terminology and rules of sailing and in Russian with a detailed explanation.
• by e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
• by check to SAIL LAVIE SAILNG CLUB INC.,10271 Yonge St # 357,
Richmond Hill, ON L4C 3B5
We strongly recommend to refresh your sailing theory knowledge
Please be dressed well for the weather conditions. Keep in mind that during sailing temperature on water feels 10 degrees less compared with temperature on shore. Layers are best ways to stay warm. That is because each piece of clothing traps a layer of insulating air. And as the temperature or your activity level changes, you can shed a layer at a time until you are comfy again.
Please bring one pair of non-marking sailing shoes (light colored soles). Be sure to pack sunscreen (with a high enough SPF to protect your skin) wind and sun-protective clothing as well. Don’t forget sunglasses and hat!
What equipment should you take with you:
Personal sailing gloves
The Waiver and Sail La Vie Boat Rules are attached. Please read carefully and be ready to sign aboard.
You should be onboard at least 15 min before an Embarkation. Please plan your arrival according to the traffic conditions. We have to leave on time.
Address: Lake Simcoe, Friday Harbour Rezort
3800 Sunreef Avenue, Innisfil, ON L9S 2P7
Our Sailing Boat is “Winds of Chance”.
We will meet you here.